Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Creating Fabric Paper Tutorial

"What is Fabric Paper?"  This is the question I get asked the most.  The short answer is: Fabric Paper is a fusion of fabric, paper, silk fibers, paints and other fun stuff to create your own one of a kind 'fabric'.  No, we aren't fusing in the traditional sense, but rather using a medium to adhere all the layers together.  Traditionally, and the way I first learned to make this rather addictive product, is to use either a PVA glue (book binders glue) or one of the various acrylic mediums such as Matte Gel Medium, as the adhesive.  The major problem with either product is that once dry, they become fairly stiff.  While still somewhat flexible, they were not quite supple enough for making purses or journal covers, at least in my not so humble opinion.  In my quest to find a product that produced that softness I was after, I realized that I already had the perfect product!  Jacquard Textile Paints: #101 Colorless Extender.


I've used Jacquard Textile Paints for many years now, always amazed at how soft they are on fabrics.  The Colorless Extender has all the properties of the paint, but no color so dries clear.  I've used this Colorless Extender mixed with glitters to make my own glitter paints, as well as to extend my Textile Paints without the use of water.  Since the product dries clear and extremely soft, it was the perfect solution!

The second most asked question is "Is Fabric Paper washable?"  The short answer to this is "No.".  Because of the paper content, it probably is not a good idea to toss it in the washer.  However, I have taken a soft sponge to wipe off a spot or two (I am a coffeeholic and have been known to spill every so often...ahem!) quite successfully so you can spot clean this way.  I would not use Fabric Paper for a bed quilt.  But for wall art, journal covers, purses, and the like it will work beautifully.


And now, what you have all been waiting for... the link for the tutorial.  Click here: http://laughingcatdesignsetc.com/howto
and download your very own pdf file.
Enjoy and Create!

(*please respect my copyright's here, I am sharing this freely but it did take me a lot of time, effort and money to create all of this.  Do not make copies and distribute. Please DO share the link to this blog and tutorial)

1 comment:

  1. How nice of you to share your experience(s) with us! Plus, in a format that is easy to print and follow!! I certainly will link when I get to try your method. Haven't made any paper fabric in year!!

    ReplyDelete